You’ve been out of the house all day with a full face of makeup. Dirt and pollutants have settled on your skin, and it feels unclean and congested. Now you’re ready to take it off with your usual face wash.
Stop for one moment and read the ingredients list. You may be shocked to learn that your cleanser might be filled with synthetic chemicals and other makeup ingredients that you should avoid. Many harmful components dry out your skin, disrupt its pH balance, and worsen your skin issues. They also negatively impact the environment.
What if we told you that there’s an alternative that’s better for you?
An organic face wash does everything non-organic face wash does but without adverse effects. These face washes contain all-natural, non-toxic ingredients that cleanse and nourish your skin. They also help preserve the environment as a bonus.
It might seem like the beauty market is awash with just synthetic face wash. Still, there are a plethora of natural balms, oils, cleansers, and soaps designed to give you luxurious clean skin.
We also have a list of our top recommendations for the best natural retinol serums for an all-organic skincare routine. Check it out.
- 11 Best Organic Face Wash
- 1. True Botanicals Nourishing Cleanser
- 2. 100% PURE Fermented Rice Water Cleanser
- 3. Herbivore Botanicals Pink Clay Cleansing Bar Soap
- 4. Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser
- 5. KORA Organics Cream Cleanser
- 6. Indie Lee Cleansing Balm
- 7. Cocokind Organic facial cleansing oil
- 8. One Love Organics Botanical B Enzyme Cleansing Oil
- 9. Pai Middlemist Seven
- 10. Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash
- 11. OSEA Ocean Cleanser
- Honorable Mentions For Best Organic Face Wash
- Organic Face Wash Ingredients: What To Look For
- Face Wash Ingredients To Avoid
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
11 Best Organic Face Wash
As we mentioned, there are many organic face wash brands available today. Here’s a list of the best organic face washes that will leave your skin feeling soft, clean, and hydrated.
1. True Botanicals Nourishing Cleanser
True Botanicals has one mission: cleanse the skin without stripping it of its hydration. True Botanicals Nourishing Cleanser proves that they aced it. This hypoallergenic, non-drying face cleanser is designed to work on oily and breakout-prone skin. True Botanicals uses a blend of white and green tea, black willow bark extract, aloe vera, and organic oils. The combination helps fight blemishes while hydrating the skin and reducing signs of aging. Plus, it has an attractive scent of lavender, helichrysum, and carrot seed. This product is vegan, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and MADE SAFE certified.
Based: San Francisco, USA. Ships internationally.
2. 100% PURE Fermented Rice Water Cleanser
100% PURE Fermented Rice Water Cleanser is a brightening and exfoliating cleanser that uses sake, aka fermented rice water. Sake contains enzymes, amino acids, malic acids, minerals, and vitamins. It brightens, softens, and gently exfoliates your skin.
This organic face wash also uses licorice to soothe and brighten your skin and pineapple to tone and soften your complexion. It also contains papaya that promotes skin renewal and white mulberry that balances your skin tone. This cleanser works on normal, dry, oily, and combination skin types.
Based: California, USA. Ships internationally.
3. Herbivore Botanicals Pink Clay Cleansing Bar Soap
Herbivore is lauded in the natural beauty industry thanks to its high quality, globally sourced natural skin care ingredients. Herbivore Botanicals Pink Clay Cleansing Bar Soap is no exception. Each bar includes French pink clay, known for drawing out impurities to cleanse your skin without drying or stripping it. Coconut and olive oils in the face wash help improve the texture and tone of your skin.
Designed for all skin types, give this cleanser a try and watch your skin transform! You’ll love the silky smooth lather that will soften your skin and leave you smelling floral and citrusy. Each bar soap is made lovingly by hand.
PS – you can use this soap on your body too.
Based: Washington, USA. Ships internationally.
4. Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser
Have you noticed your skin starting to look dull, uneven, or congested? Looking for a gentle exfoliator that you can use every day? Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser is what you need! Tata Harper, equipped with 16 high-performance botanical ingredients, hydrates and exfoliates while giving your skin a healthy, radiant glow.
A contender for the best natural face wash, Tata Harper is 100% free from GMOs, toxins, synthetic chemicals, fillers, and artificial colors and fragrances. This face wash dissolves build-up, refines your pores, and plumps your skin. Let this cleanser become a cherished part of your skincare routine today!
Based: Vermont, USA. Ships internationally.
5. KORA Organics Cream Cleanser
Looking for a cleanser that will give you desirable glowing skin? KORA Organics Cream Cleanser delivers on that and more. This rich cream cleanser is made with deeply hydrating ingredients like aloe vera, macadamia nut, avocado, and rosehip oils to leave your skin soft and healthy.
The cleanser works to remove dirt and makeup without the use of drying cleansing agents. Not only is KORA’s organic face wash free of sulfates and synthetic fragrances and color, but it’s also vegan and carbon neutral. So, go now and get this all-natural face wash!
Based: Mona Vale, Australia. Ships internationally.
6. Indie Lee Cleansing Balm
Indie Lee Cleansing Balm is an antioxidant-rich organic face wash that’s almost too good to be true. Get this; it’s a makeup remover, a cleanser, and a mask at the same time.
Its key ingredients, strawberry seed oil, wheat protein, and tomato extracts, exfoliate and hydrate your skin.
The balm contains sunflower oil that removes your makeup without drying it out, while the vitamins give you brighter skin. Here’s where Indie Lee Cleansing Balm leaps over its competitors: it’s made without 1,300+ harmful chemicals, making it one of the cleanest face washes on this list.
Based: New York, USA. Ships to the USA and Canada only.
7. Cocokind Organic facial cleansing oil
Cocokind Organic facial cleansing oil is a USDA-certified organic and non-GMO cleansing oil that deeply but gently cleanses your skin. It’s a soothing non-toxic face wash that removes makeup, dirt, and impurities without using harmful stripping chemicals.
When you use this cleanser, your skin won’t dry out, and your pH level will remain undisturbed. The avocado oil in the cleanser has essential fatty acids which prevent moisture loss. It also has tea tree oil that purifies your skin while soothing it. Cocokind’s cleanser works best for oily, dry, and combination skin.
Based: California, USA, Ships in the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
8. One Love Organics Botanical B Enzyme Cleansing Oil
Got no time for a complicated skincare routine? Then pick a bottle of One Love Organics Botanical B Enzyme Cleansing Oil. This best-selling cleansing oil is made with vitamin B enzymes and a blend of sunflower seed oil, papaya oil, and pumpkin seed oil.
The oil removes impurities and makeup without disrupting the skin’s natural oils and pH balance. That’s not all; it exfoliates the skin, softening and detoxifying it at the same time.
This pineapple and citrus-scented cleansing oil was designed for those with dry, dehydrated, and sensitive skin. Effortless is really the best way to describe this oil. Try it today!
Based: Georgia, USA. Ships in the United States only.
9. Pai Middlemist Seven
Pai Middlemist Seven is a best-selling cream cleanser that works for all skin types, especially sensitive skin. This versatile powerhouse can cleanse and decongest the skin while soothing, brightening, and softening it.
This face wash feels luxurious and gentle on the skin, cleansing it without removing its protective oils or disrupting its pH balance. Its main ingredients, camellia and rose are nothing to sneer at. Camellia oil is rich in antioxidants and omega 6, while the rose soothes and brightens your skin. Pai Middlemist Seven uses organic and sustainably grown ingredients, is cruelty-free, and is vegan.
Based: London, UK. Ships internationally.
10. Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash
Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash is a fantastic concentrated face wash. This aptly named wash removes oil and dirt and exfoliates your skin. It does this without stripping your skin of moisture and disturbing your pH balance.
This face wash is made with aloe, lemon, white tea, sugarcane, rice seed, and coconut-derived surfactants. It soothes, hydrates, smoothens, clarifies, and brightens your skin. It really does it all!
To cap it all off, the scent of the face wash—cedar, lime, and spearmint—is to die for. This face wash is vegan, cruelty-free, and synthetic fragrance-free. The bottle is made from recycled material. Go on and give Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash a try today!
Based: Vermont, USA. Ships internationally.
11. OSEA Ocean Cleanser
OSEA Ocean Cleanser is what you need to energize your skin! This formless cleanser is made with jojoba and sesame seed oil, algae extract, vitamin E, coconut, bergamot, and a host of other incredible ingredients. It removes excess sebum, impurities, and makeup while gently exfoliating to unclog your pores.
That’s not all; OSEA’s cleanser doesn’t strip your skin of its natural oil. In fact, it leaves your skin hydrated thanks to the minerals in its formula. Oh, and the scent is a refreshing mixture of lime, sweet jasmine, and bergamot. This cleanser works on normal and combination skin.
Based: California, USA. Ships internationally.
Honorable Mentions For Best Organic Face Wash
Grown Alchemist Gentle Gel Facial Cleanser – is a natural face wash for sensitive skin. This cleanser is made from geranium leaf, bergamot, and rosebud. It has a silky texture and an exquisite scent you’ll never get tired of.
Maaemo Purifying Gel Cleanser – is the perfect cleanser for those dealing with breakouts. This highly-rated cleanser uses certified organic, natural, and vegan ingredients to remove impurities and makeup while nourishing your skin.
Organic Face Wash Ingredients: What To Look For
Here’s a list of beneficial ingredients to look out for as you shop for the most suitable organic face wash.
- Soapwort: Soapwort is native to Asia and Europe. It has been used for centuries as a cleanser for both skin and hair. It’s gentle, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is recommended for acne-prone skin. It’s also a natural astringent, which helps tighten the skin and shrink the pores. Soapwort helps treat conditions like eczema and acne. It helps remove dirt and bacteria without stripping the skin’s natural oils.
- Natural Oils: These are oils derived from plants and flowers like olive, coconut, jojoba, sunflowers, etc. Natural oils are rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids. They moisturize, cleanse, and soften your skin while also having antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. They add a layer of protection over your skin and help trap moisture that would otherwise evaporate away.
- Tea tree oil: This oil is a bit different because it’s antiseptic. It helps remove makeup, bacteria, pollutants, and impurities. Instead of using products with alcohol, which is very drying, look for tea tree oil in the ingredients lists. In fact, this oil is excellent for acne-prone skin as it cleans your pores while reducing inflammation and swelling,
- Clay: People have been using clay for centuries with good reason. Clay helps cleanse the skin by gently binding makeup, excess sebum, pollutants, and impurities. It doesn’t strip away the skin’s natural oil. By absorbing the excess oil on your skin, clay can actually help prevent acne, making it an excellent ingredient for people with sensitive skin.
Face Wash Ingredients To Avoid
Here’s a list of harmful ingredients you should avoid.
- Parabens: Parabens are a family of preservatives used to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold. They have been linked to breast cancer and normally irritate people with sensitive skin. Despite being one of the most well-known chemicals to avoid, parabens can still be found in tiny concentrations in products today, like cleansers.
- Triclosan and triclocarban: These chemicals have been used as preservatives, antibacterial agents, and antiperspirants. They are endocrine disruptors, irritants for the skin, eyes, and nose, and can cause organ toxicity. Over some time, they can cause bioaccumulation. The FDA had banned them in some products, but you can still find them in face washes.
- Synthetic fragrances: Synthetic fragrances are developed in laboratories and are made from a combination of over 3,000 different ingredients. Those ingredients include hormone disruptors, allergens, and irritation to the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. The main issue with synthetic fragrances is that they’re considered trade secrets, meaning that corporations aren’t required to list the ingredients. You would not know if harmful chemicals are used to create that fragrance.
- Phthalates: Phthalates are plasticizing chemicals. They soften the product and make fragrances stick to your skin. These chemicals are endocrine disruptors, cause congenital disabilities, and are toxic to body organs. The EU is working to ban phthalates, and the FDA monitors their use, which is good news. But, if these chemicals are used in synthetic fragrances, you would have no way of knowing this.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is It OK To Wash Your Face Everyday?
Yes, it is ok to wash your face every day. Ideally, cleaning your face in the morning and at night would be best.
What Can I Use To Clean My Face Naturally?
To clean your face naturally, you can use An organic face cleanser with natural, organic ingredients. Alternatively, you could use ingredients such as tea-tree oil, soapwort, or clay to clean your face.
Can I Just Wash My Face With Water?
Water alone might not be enough to cleanse away all the impurities from your skin. A good chemical-free face wash can help remove makeup, dirt, pollutants, and other impurities.
Conventional face washes have ingredients that harm your health and the environment. On the other hand, organic face washes have simpler formulas made with natural, organic ingredients that effectively clean and nourish your skin. We hope this list helps you choose the organic face wash that will give you all you need.
Interested in clean makeup? Check out our recommendations for the best organic face serums.
Stella - Writer Stella is a writer and mother from Thika, Kenya. Her love for nature and the beautiful Kenyan outdoors has inspired Stella to consciously make an effort to lead a more sustainable, eco-friendly lifestyle.
Stella - Writer
Stella is a writer and mother from Thika, Kenya.
Her love for nature and the beautiful Kenyan outdoors has inspired Stella to consciously make an effort to lead a more sustainable, eco-friendly lifestyle.